This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
ICS Storage Service Upgrade (01/04/2022)
ICS Computing Support provides an ICS Home Directory for every member of the ICS community and that Home Directory is available to any computer connected to the UCI network.
- All Flash Storage
- Redundant 40Gb/s uplink to the ICS Data Center Backbone
- Inline compression (data reduction factor of ~1.6)
- 28 days of self service snapshots + long term disaster recovery backups
Visit ICS Home Directory for more information.
Planned Changes to the UCI Google Workspace Service (1/25/2022)
OIT has sent out email announcing the following planned changes to thee UCI Google Workspace Service on Tuesday, January 25, 2022.
These changes will not effect the ICS run and ICS branded ICS Google Workspace Service. ICS Computing Support will review and determine if mirroring these changes would benefit the ICS community and if they are feasible in our environment. ICS community members are encouraged send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if mirroing these changes will be impactful, constructively or negatively, to ICS business or research.
- Require UCI Single Sign-On to access all UCI Google services like Gmail and Google Drive. If you are already enrolled in Duo, Duo MFA will also be required.
- Disable the ‘less secure apps’ (LSA) feature which allows third-party mail clients like Apple Mail and Microsoft Outlook to connect to Gmail using a legacy authentication method (see below)
- Disable the POP mail protocol
ICS Email Web Bugs Disarmament
Web bugs or web beacons will no longer be disarmed in messages delivered by ICS mail scanners and read via ICS IMAP service. Multiple legitimate websites, including UCI Medical Center and the Digital Covid-19 Vaccine Record site have been found using web bugs and disarmament interfered with the messages they were sending. Please send email to email@example.com if you have any questions.
Jupyterlab @ ICS and Jupyter Notebooks for Instruction
ICS Computing Support is excited to announce Jupyterub@ICS. The ICS hub turns any web browser into a Linux Terminal AND offers several web-based apps, including a console, Rstudio, XDesktop, and VSCode.
A personalized docker container
- Runing Ubuntu 20.04
- Based on
- Persistant Data*
- User's ICS home directory mounted
- Synchornized to openlab directories.
- CLI Tools
- gcc/g++ and debugger
- GIT Integration tools
- X Server