This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Summer Quarter Announcements 2018
We have begun installing CUDA 9.0 on ICS hosts with graphics cards. Please send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to request an upgrade.
Python Default Version: 3.6.1
Default version of has been updated to Python 3.6.1.
Note: The binary is called `python3`. The pip utility binary is called `pip3`.
Please use the `module` command to add python3 to your environment. e.g. `module load python`.
Managed Computing with Full Sudo Privilege
ICS Computing Support now offers managed computing with FULL Sudo privilege. See supported OS page for more information or send email to email@example.com to get started.
Managed means that ICS Computing Suport will:
- Provision the operating system
- Provide constant configuration via pupet
- Provide Single Sign-on
- Ensure NFS Access to ICS Storage Servers, home and extra directories, and the Software Library (/pkg).
- ICS /home /extra directories are snap shotted daily and backed up to tape monthly.
- Package installs from trusted OS repositories.
- Compile new software to install in Software Library
- Limited Sudo for limited number of designated users.
- Any compute role (e.g. MySQL, Apache, MongoDB, Cycle Server)
- Service configuration
- Service and resource Monitoring
Managed with Sudo
Managed with Sudo will include everything from Managed with the following changes:
- Full Sudo
- ICS Storage Servers, home and extra directories, are only available via FUSE.
- There are no snapshots or backups, user must backup data to ICS Storage Servers.
- Docker is available.
FOSS Tool Recomendations
Recommended tools, free and open source. Let us know if you have more suggestions.
User Account Inode Quota
Beginning on July 9th, an inode quota will be applied to all undergrad and grad home directories. This will not affects other storage spaces such as /extra directories. Inode refers to the number of files in a directory. Having too many inodes takes away space that could be used for data storage. It also affects backups as each file is an entry in a database. When the number of inodes reach critical usage, it affects all users whose home directories are on the same volume.
The quota will be set at 100,000 inodes.
If you suspect that you are using too many inodes, please login to one of our servers such as openlab.ics.uci.edu and run the following command:
find . -type d -name “.snapshot” -prune -o -print | wc -l