This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Summer Quarter Announcements 2018
Instructional Virtual Machine Support @ ICS
ICS Computing Support runs a cluster of machines capable of providing personal virtual machines for ICS stduents.
Students with acces to this cluster will be able:
- Start a VM using a single command from any host in the openlab Linux cluster.
- Local root privilege on their VM.
- Reconnect on either console or via ssh.
- Many other benefits
If you would like to find out how this service can be good fit for your course, undergraduate or graduate, send a message to email@example.com and we will reach out.
More information is available on our Support Wiki: Virtual Environments
We have begun installing CUDA 9.0 on ICS hosts with graphics cards. Please send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to request an upgrade.
Python Default Version: 3.6.1
Default version of has been updated to Python 3.6.1.
Note: The binary is called `python3`. The pip utility binary is called `pip3`.
Please use the `module` command to add python3 to your environment. e.g. `module load python`.
Managed Computing with Full Sudo Privilege
ICS Computing Support now offers managed computing with FULL Sudo privilege. See supported OS page for more information or send email to email@example.com to get started.
Managed means that ICS Computing Suport will:
- Provision the operating system
- Provide constant configuration via pupet
- Provide Single Sign-on
- Ensure NFS Access to ICS Storage Servers, home and extra directories, and the Software Library (/pkg).
- ICS /home /extra directories are snap shotted daily and backed up to tape monthly.
- Package installs from trusted OS repositories.
- Compile new software to install in Software Library
- Limited Sudo for limited number of designated users.
- Any compute role (e.g. MySQL, Apache, MongoDB, Cycle Server)
- Service configuration
- Service and resource Monitoring
Managed with Sudo
Managed with Sudo will include everything from Managed with the following changes:
- Full Sudo
- ICS Storage Servers, home and extra directories, are only available via FUSE.
- There are no snapshots or backups, user must backup data to ICS Storage Servers.
- Docker is available.
FOSS Tool Recomendations
Recommended tools, free and open source. Let us know if you have more suggestions.