This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Summer Quarter Announcements 2018
Instructional Computing Support
Instructional Virtual Machine Support @ ICS
ICS Computing Support runs a cluster of machines capable of providing personal virtual machines for ICS stduents.
Students with acces to this cluster will be able:
- Start a VM using a single command from any host in the openlab Linux cluster.
- Local root privilege on their VM.
- Reconnect on either console or via ssh.
- Many other benefits
If you would like to find out how this service can be good fit for your course, undergraduate or graduate, send a message to email@example.com and we will reach out.
More information is available on our Support Wiki: Virtual Environments
Unlimited Instructional Storage
Undergraduate and Graduate students have access to unquotad storage space. Please use the appropriate link:
Instructional Computer Clusters
The schools provides over 80 distinct computer nodes for instructional and general use;
ICS Computing runs Sun Grid Engine (SGE) to perform job scheduling and distribution to the myriad of instructional and research compute clusters.
Other Instructional Resource Related Information
We have begun installing CUDA 9.0 on ICS hosts with graphics cards. Please send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to request an upgrade.
Python Default Version: 3.6.1
Default version of has been updated to Python 3.6.1.
Note: The binary is called `python3`. The pip utility binary is called `pip3`.
Please use the `module` command to add python3 to your environment. e.g. `module load python`.
Managed Computing with Full Sudo Privilege
ICS Computing Support now offers managed computing with FULL Sudo privilege. See supported OS page for more information or send email to email@example.com to get started.
Managed means that ICS Computing Suport will:
- Provision the operating system
- Provide constant configuration via pupet
- Provide Single Sign-on
- Ensure NFS Access to ICS Storage Servers, home and extra directories, and the Software Library (/pkg).
- ICS /home /extra directories are snap shotted daily and backed up to tape monthly.
- Package installs from trusted OS repositories.
- Compile new software to install in Software Library
- Limited Sudo for limited number of designated users.
- Any compute role (e.g. MySQL, Apache, MongoDB, Cycle Server)
- Service configuration
- Service and resource Monitoring
Managed with Sudo
Managed with Sudo will include everything from Managed with the following changes:
- Full Sudo
- ICS Storage Servers, home and extra directories, are only available via FUSE.
- There are no snapshots or backups, user must backup data to ICS Storage Servers.
- Docker is available.
FOSS Tool Recomendations
Recommended tools, free and open source. Let us know if you have more suggestions.