Table of Contents
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon Web Services offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and deployment services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications. These services are trusted by the largest enterprises and the hottest start-ups to power a wide variety of workloads including: web and mobile applications, IoT, data processing and warehousing, storage, archive, and many others.
OIT AWS Eligible Discount Program
This program is run by OIT and initiated 2019 Nov 13
UC System-wide Procurement Services has negotiated an additional pricing discount of 11% to the UC community. You can take advantage of this discount by placing your campus AWS account(s) under the Eligible Discount Program (EDP) master account administered by the Office of Information Technology (OIT). By joining the master account, your AWS bills will roll up to OIT. OIT will pay the consolidated AWS bill monthly and cost recover to the KFS account you provide.
Applying for the Discount
The following process will enable you to receive UC system discounts.
- Email email@example.com with your name, AWS account ID (12 digits) and KFS billing account number.
- OIT will invite your account to join its “master organization” which is the umbrella account to which the system-wide discount is applied.
- Your account administrator must accept the invitation under the AWS Organizations service in the AWS console. Each invitation must be responded to within 15 days or it will expire.
Changes to Your Account
Once your account has linked to the OIT master account, the following changes will occur.
- A CloudTrail trail will be added to the joining account, it will be named OITMasterTrail. The master trail cannot be deleted. If the account already has a trail charges will apply as only one trail is free. The cost for a second trail is minimal, pricing can be found here: https://aws.amazon.com/cloudtrail/pricing/
- Reserved Instance sharing between accounts will be disabled. This is to prevent other accounts joining the EDP from using your Reserved Instances.
After you have linked to the OIT master account, your bill will roll up to the OIT master bill. OIT pays AWS for all usage linked to the master account and will cost recover your AWS charges less the applied discount.